Characteristics of a CIS Accredited School
Accreditation has value for all members of the school community
The award of CIS International Accreditation demonstrates a school’s commitment to high quality international education to the school community as well as to the outside world: prospective families, educational leaders and teachers as well as universities, embassies, other government departments, and globally-minded companies and organisations. Concerned professionals as well as parents naturally seek a quality education for children. Expatriate parents in particular face an unfamiliar environment which offers few guidelines on how best to select the most appropriate school for their child’s needs. The fact that a school holds CIS Accreditation can be very important in parents' choice of school.
Characteristics of an Accredited School
The final award of Accredited Status from CIS demonstrates that a school is aligned with the demanding CIS School Evaluation Standards. It shows that the school has achieved high standards of professional performance in international education and has a commitment to continuous improvement. In particular, the award of accreditation shows that:
- The school is devoted to its Mission and Vision for students, as expressed in its Guiding Statements. The school also adheres consistently to the CIS Code of Ethics.
- The school cares enough to seek validation from a recognised accreditation authority for the work it does for its students.
- The schools focuses on the quality of teaching and the progress students make, their standards of achievement (in the broadest sense) as well as the students’ safeguarding and well-being.
- The school is committed to the development of the students’ global citizenship.
- The school knows itself. It has thought deeply about the services it offers to students, family and community.
- The school is student-orientated. Its philosophy of education is suitable for the students on roll and encompasses the development of the whole individual.
- The school keeps its promises. It promises only what it can deliver.
- The school accepts objective assessment. It is prepared to open its doors periodically to regular evaluation by its own school community and by outside experienced practitioners.
- The school is constantly seeking to improve its performance in all areas in order to ensure it attains the desired learning outcomes for its students.
- The school plans strategically for the future. As part of the on-going nature of the evaluation process, accredited schools are continually planning future developments.