Membership Benefits & Criteria
Global Reach of CIS Members
CIS connects Affiliate Consultant Members with more than 720 schools and 550 universities in over 112 countries and gives them the opportunity to expand their network and find new engagements.
Working with Quality Schools and Organisations
When you work with CIS Members, you know you are working with high quality institutions dedicated to international education. Each CIS Member school and institution has completed an extensive membership application process.
Affiliated Consultant Membership is available to individuals who provide consulting and counselling services to primary and secondary schools with international programmes and the students and families who attend these schools. Individuals applying for membership may be working independently or as part of a consulting group or organisation. The number of individuals who are offered an Affiliated Consultant Membership is limited to ensure the number of members available matches the demand by CIS Members. Applications are accepted if the individual meets the criteria for membership.
Each individual applying for membership must meet the following criteria:
- Areas of expertise match identified areas of need
- At least two years of current, relevant consulting experience
- A complete resume and motivation letter
- Two references/recommendations are required from CIS member schools or universities that have engaged with the consultant
- A clear criminal record check in the country of residence
- All members are required to follow the CIS Code of Ethics for Affiliated Consultants
- Up to three memberships are allowed under one organisation
- Independent University Counsellors who are members of professional organisations for Independent Educational Consultants will be looked upon favorably (i.e. Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA) Professional members, Higher Educational Consultants Association (HECA)).
- Independent University Consultants who partner with colleges and universities for recruitment services and receive financial compensation from colleges/universities are not eligible for Affiliated Consultant Membership.
The consulting categories for Affiliated Consultants are:
- Appraisal and professional development
- Curriculum design and delivery
- Identification and application of technology
- Independent University Counselling
- Intercultural Competence
- Leadership training and school governance
- Marketing and Communications Strategy
- Strategic planning
- Student Wellbeing: Protection, Safety, & Security