Child Protection Foundation Workshop
Date: 17–18 October 2023
Time: 07:30–16:00 Central European Summer Time (CEST) | Convert to your time zone
Unsure of your schedule and ability to attend live? Access recordings and materials for on-demand participation.
Develop your understanding of the key risks and realities relating to child protection and safeguarding within international school communities.
Affluent neglect, child sexual abuse, online grooming, and peer-on-peer abuse—these are just a few of the workshop topics you’ll explore as you seek to create safer environments for your students.
Join other school leaders and educators to learn and connect on vital and well-established workshop content plus newly developed and timely material in an accessible online format.
What can you expect?
- Training that is tailored to the needs of international school communities
- Learn how to recognize and respond to affluent neglect within your community
- Develop a shared understanding of the signs of online grooming and sexual abuse
- Understand the risks associated with bullying and harm between students and how to address these forms of harm effectively by engaging the student voice
- Learn how to build skills in your community around online consent, cyber-bullying, and online sexual harassment
- Case studies and discussion around how to recognize and respond to affluent neglect
- Recordings and resources available to registered participants for most sessions for three weeks after the workshop closes
- Specific issues arising from remote and blended learning environments, e.g., online grooming, receiving virtual disclosures, addressing harm in the home, and adapting policies and codes of conduct to remote learning environments
- A session looking at how to safeguard young people whose voices have traditionally been marginalized due to their race, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, ability, or other identity markers
- An online safety session with activities for staff to conduct with students around cyber-bullying, online sexual harassment and consent, and sexting
- Live Q&A sessions with the speakers at the end of each day
- Defining and understanding the causes and practices of sexual abusers
- Recognizing and responding to affluent neglect within international school communities
- Addressing peer-on-peer abuse within international school settings
Choose from three strands:
- Strand A: Leadership—Developing school-wide child protection policies and practices including safer recruitment and communicating in a crisis
- Strand B: Prevention & response—Understanding and responding to online harm, identity-based harm and harm in the home, and supporting and educating young people to develop healthy relationships.
Who is this workshop for?
Heads of schools, principals, social-emotional counsellors, university guidance counsellors, safeguarding leads and child protection officers, CIS accreditation team evaluators, school board members.
Registration deadline: 6 October 2023
Fee: €550 (excluding VAT)
If your institution is not a CIS member and you are interested in this event, please email Jane Joyce.