Is this position a good fit for you? International School of Riga has contracted CIS to manage applications for this position. We have worked closely with the school to learn what they need and are ready to share our expertise with you. Apply for this position through CIS so we can represent you, your skills and experience to the school.
INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF RIGA
Effective July 2020
Established in 2001 in Riga, Latvia, the International School of Riga is an independent, not for profit school that offers an international education from Toddlers to Grade 12 for 300 students representing more than 35 nationalities. The school is located on two campuses, both centrally located within the city, making it Riga’s most centrally located international school.
ISR employs 43 faculty members coming from 15 different countries
Accreditation and Curriculum
The International School of Riga is internationally accredited by the Council of International Schools (CIS) and locally accredited by the Latvian Ministry of Education.
The school is an International Baccalaureate World School and Cambridge International Centre. ISR is authorized to offer students the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IBPYP) in Preschool-Grade 5; International Middle Years Curriculum (IMYC) in Grades 6-8; and the International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) and A-Levels in Grades 9-12. The school is a candidate school* for the Diploma Programme and is pursuing authorization as an IB World School. IB World Schools share a common philosophy – a commitment to high-quality, challenging, international education- that we believe is important for our students.
ISR Mission Statement
We are a respectful, learning-focused community where each student is inspired to achieve his or her potential, and to become an ethical, confident and internationally-minded citizen of tomorrow.
We strive to achieve our mission using approaches based on our philosophy. We believe that:
- The Mission, Vision, and Definitions of Learning guide all aspects of the school
- Development of moral character, wellness, leadership, teamwork and learning to learn are as important as academics
- Embracing both the Latvian Heart and ISR diversity unites the community
- A collaborative and stimulating environment, which facilitates student ownership over their learning, inspires students to achieve their full potential
- Individual needs and abilities are respected, supported and celebrated throughout each learning journey
- ISR members respect and positively contribute to both local and global communities
- ISR members adhere to environmentally sustainable practices
- ISR fosters and encourages through enjoyable and experiential learning
- Teachers, students and parents act in partnership to achieve the ISR Mission
Riga and Latvia
The biggest metropolis in the Baltics, Riga perfectly blends timeless tradition and cutting-edge cool. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site of cobblestones and breathtaking river views, as well as Europe’s Wifi capital with almost 1,000 spots to get online for free. In addition, considering the relatively compact nature of the city, many of its sites are within walking distance: special urban pulse points and green relaxation zones, a dynamic city atmosphere and the romance of rural idylls.
With a population of 2 million, Latvia is ideally located in Northern Europe, making it a short 2 to 3-hour flight from most European capital cities.
Latvia joined the European Union in 2003 and adopted the Euro as its currency; it is fairly easy for both EU and non-EU nationals to obtain a work permit for Latvia, including non-working spouses.
ISR is currently located on two campuses:
- The school owns the Primary campus facilities, a 1912 heritage schoolhouse designed by renowned Latvian architect Reinholds Georgs Šmēlings
- The Secondary campus is located in the center of town, in rented facilities and will be joining the Primary campus after the addition is completed in August 2021
The school is governed by a School Representative Meeting consisting of 7 Members and 1 Associate Member who are elected at the Annual General Meeting from among the members of the school (parents) and the Director. Each member serves for a two-year term contributing the expertise and experience that they bring from their own professions to the school.
The Director reports to the Meeting of Representatives and is responsible for the operation of ISR academics, information technology, financial services, operations, human resources and strategy and innovation.
- sets a standard of excellence for all aspects of the School’s program, including supervising and working with Principals to develop curriculum
- oversees the accreditation process and helps to ensure the school’s professional standing
- fosters a positive and safe school environment for the entire ISR community
- oversees the development and implementation of policies, programs, curricular/ extra-curricular activities and day-to-day school operations.
- achieves the annual goals developed by the board
- ensures the school is safe and secure including Child Protection Policies and procedures
- oversees the implementation of the strategic plan.
ISR is seeking:
- A learning-focused leader who is able to successfully communicate a vision for continuous improvement across all aspects of the school.
- An individual with outstanding interpersonal skills and a capacity to successfully recruit, retain and further develop outstanding faculty, staff and administrators in support of the school’s mission.
- An individual who is committed to the further implementation of the new campus and improvement of the teaching and learning environment.
- Previous Head of School/Director experience or in lieu, a proven track record of demonstrated educational and business leadership experience and success that will be considered by the Committee.
- Demonstrated commitment to a multi-year tenure of service in the role of Director.
- A graduate degree in education or educational leadership.
Salary and benefits
The salary and benefit package for the Director is competitive and will be commensurate with the candidate's qualifications and experience.
CIS is delighted to announce that the International School of Riga has retained CIS Leadership Search Services to lead the search for their next Director.
If you are interested in this position and meet the criteria outlined, apply now via the link below. Please provide a letter of motivation and your CV. The letter of motivation should clearly outline your interest in the school and the position you are applying for, what you would bring to the role and how you meet the requirements in the profile.
Should you progress to the next stage, you will be invited to continue the application process and will be required to provide copies of the following:
- University degree/s
- Certificates/licenses confirming qualification in your field/s of expertise
- A copy of the biographical page of your Passport
- Criminal background checks from all countries where you have lived or worked as an adult
- Contact details for three supervisory referees
This information must be complete when you enter the final stages of an application process. Finalists will be invited to Riga for interview with the intention of making a final selection shortly thereafter.
Should they receive an outstanding application, International School of Riga reserves the right to make an appointment before the closing date mentioned below.
1 October 2019
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Taskforce on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.