Is this position a good fit for you? American School of Bombay has contracted CIS to manage applications for this position. We have worked closely with the school to learn what they need and are ready to share our expertise with you. Apply for this position through CIS so we can represent you, your skills and experience to the school.
American School of Bombay
Head of School
effective July 2021
The American School of Bombay (ASB), an independent Pre-K to Grade 12, co-educational, day school, situated in Mumbai, India, is a center of learning for students, educators, and thought leaders from around the world.
ASB is seeking its next Head of School who will take office in the summer of 2021, succeeding Craig Johnson, who has led the school since 2010. This is a rare and compelling opportunity for a highly qualified school leader to join a prestigious learning community, which provides a truly relevant education.
We are what schools should be
Our community is looking forward to welcoming our next Head of School to the American School of Bombay. ASB is an amazing place. 130 remarkable educators lead us, engage our students, continuously work to master their craft, and share their learning and innovations with the world. The educational ambience in which we work, across three vibrant campuses, is inspiring – full of energy, positivity, and promise. Intentionally international, we are a welcoming community, comprised of 50 different nationalities – where everyone is respected, treasured, and nurtured.
We have intentionally relevant programs, initiatives, and pedagogy that structure individualized pathways for all our learners. We are high-achieving and driven to excellence in academics and social-emotional learning. Beyond the classroom – through sports, arts, internships, and community service – we pursue dreams and enhance lives. We love and embrace India, the richness of its culture, and its dynamic, welcoming, and fast-moving pace. We invite you to apply for this remarkable role if you are a leader who is going to embrace us and support us on our path to further excellence, joy, and success.
Is this you?
ASB is looking for someone who has:
- A growth mindset that inspires and empowers others to become life-long learners.
- Highly developed critical thinking skills to analyze, reflect and ensure continuous improvement in educational and administrative outcomes.
- Collaborative and deeply engaging interpersonal and communication skills that encourage open, inclusive and stimulating dialogues with all members of the school community and beyond.
- Creative and innovative thinking skills that lead to new and relevant ideas becoming encoded into ASB’s DNA.
- The ability to manage complexity in a dynamic, highly diverse, transitory, and multicultural environment.
- High levels of intercultural competence to navigate and embrace cultural diversity.
- An understanding of the developmental needs of young and adolescent students to ensure all students are treated as individuals.
- A minimum of five years relevant educational leadership experience in a Head of School role or equivalent.
- A relevant Master’s degree/s from an accredited university that focuses on teaching and leadership.
- Experience with facilitative leadership (for example, programs such as: Adaptive Schools and Cognitive Coaching).
- Evidence of relevant professional development and a successful teaching tenure.
Guided by the School’s Mission and Core Values, the Head of the American School of Bombay will:
- Embody the Core Values of the school and model its Mission in action.
- Partner with the Board and Leadership Team to articulate and champion the vision and aspirations of ASB.
- Align students, faculty, staff, parents and the wider community behind the Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan through clear and inspiring communication.
- Promote a collaborative, productive working relationship among all stakeholders in the community.
- Be visible and present on ASB’s campuses to cultivate affinity with the school’s culture and community.
- Extend and enhance the reputation of ASB locally and globally.
- Recruit, develop, and retain the highest caliber faculty and staff.
- Facilitate a safe and positive environment for optimal student growth and learning.
- Ensure learning is individualized and the programs offered meet student needs.
Fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and the International Baccalaureate Organization, ASB serves approximately 750 students, with “inquiry” at the core of its educational program.
Innovation and a forward-looking perspective are part of the American School of Bombay’s DNA. Grounded in its Mission to inspire and empower students, ASB aggressively works to make its vision for the future a reality. Recipient of the 2016 AAIE Innovative Leadership Award, home to a 2017 National Distinguished Principal, and the first international school designated as a School to Watch by the National Forum to Accelerate Middle-Grades Reform, ASB is recognized for its commitment to providing the most relevant educational experiences in a highly collaborative and individualized context.
Mumbai, the capital of the Indian state of Maharashtra, is full of sights, sounds, smells, and textures. The city – overtly or surreptitiously – reminds you that you are sharing space with 20 million people from all walks of life. Its intoxicating energy compels you to explore the beauty of its people, history, architecture, and culture.
Mumbai, an archetypal metropolis, is big, and busy, and complex. And yet, it’s famously warm and inviting. With its easy connectivity, Mumbai is a gateway to India and the world. Its coastal location contributes to better average air quality than many other cities in India and provides for almost every need. The French scholar, Romain Rolland, wrote in 1929, "If there is one place on the face of earth where all the dreams of living men have found a home... it is India." We agree.
ASB's campuses are conveniently located in the central suburbs of Mumbai. The Elementary School Campus (Pre-K to Grade 5) is in Kurla (West). It is approximately 10 minutes from the Secondary School Campus (Grades 6 to 12) in the Bandra-Kurla Complex. In 2019, ASB opened an Early Childhood Center in Powai, approximately 8.5 kilometers from the Elementary School Campus.
All three campuses are intentionally designed and purpose-built to better meet the diverse needs of teaching and learning in the 21st Century. Our space can serve up-to 950 students. Over the last three years, ASB has substantially invested in the improvement of air quality on its campuses. All indoor spaces now average an Air Quality Index (AQI) well within the “Good” range of 0-50. By the end of 2019, many outdoor play spaces will also be equipped to improve AQI.
Child Protection and Safety
The American School of Bombay promotes a safe and positive community and has a special obligation to protect students. All employees are bound by the Code of Conduct and required to submit a government issued background verification. All members of the community are responsible for the safety and well-being of every child.
CIS is delighted to announce that The American School of Bombay has retained CIS, represented by Pauline O’Brien, in consultation and with support of the CIS Leadership and the School Support & Evaluation Team, to lead the search for the next Head of School.
If you are interested in this position and meet the criteria, apply now via the link below. Please provide a letter of motivation along with your CV. The letter of motivation should clearly outline your interest in the school and the position you are applying for, what you would bring to the role, and how you meet the requirements in the above profile.
What happens next?
Should you progress to the next stage, you will be invited to continue the application process and will be required to provide the following:
- Employment history
- Education history
- University degree certificates
- Professional certificates/licenses confirming qualification in your field/s of expertise
- A copy of the biographical page of your passport
- Contact details for three supervisory referees—We will assume your referees can be contacted as soon as you save their contact information in the portal. Please do contact them in advance to prepare them for this request and only add them if you are happy for them to be contacted.
Child safeguarding and safer recruitment practices
At CIS, we are committed to child protection and student well-being. That means that we adhere to the highest levels of child protection practices throughout the application process.
If you progress to the final stage of the application process, you will be required to complete a comprehensive background check with an appropriate background screening agency to authenticate the information you have provided. The following checks will be required to progress with your application:
- Criminal checks conducted for every country in which you have lived for 6 months or more since the age of 18. Please note: you can provide existing background checks in your possession and only need to order additional background checks that are missing or those that do not cover the entire duration that you lived in a place.
- Global sanctions, social media checks, educational and professional qualification verification
This information must be completed when you enter the final stages of an application process.
Finalists will be invited to Mumbai to meet with the Search Committee and constituent groups at ASB for onsite interviews in February 2020, with the intention of making an appointment shortly thereafter.
The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Should they receive an outstanding application, American School of Bombay reserves the right to make an appointment before the closing date mentioned below.
1 December 2019