Is this position a good fit for you? Colegio Colombo Británico has contracted CIS to manage applications for this position. We have worked closely with the school to learn what they need and are ready to share our expertise with you. Apply for this position through CIS so we can represent you, your skills and experience to the school.
Colegio Colombo Británico
Head of School
effective August 2020
Colegio Colombo Británico (CCB) is seeking an outstanding international Head of School to lead the school community into the next exciting phase of its growth and development beginning in August 2020.
CCB is a co-educational, private, day school, offering an instructional programme from early childhood up to 12PthP grade (3 -18 years of age). Founded in 1956 as a non-profit institution, the school is governed by a Board of Directors and is committed to foster moral, social and academic excellence in an enriching bilingual environment (Spanish-English) and is the oldest IB school in Colombia.
Our Ethos includes:
Excellence, understood as empowering each student to reach his full potential and encouraging students to take responsibility for their own learning.
British Tradition: We have ties with Great Britain and its representatives in Colombia; we conduct House activities, we offer students the opportunity to study in the United Kingdom in private schools and universities, and celebrate aspects of British culture.
Integral Development: We promote a balance between intellectual, physical, and artistic development, along with the good use of free time.
Good Human Beings: We favour the emotional-social development of moral conscience, the strengthening of values and positive behaviour. We encourage healthy lifestyle habits and self-care as fundamental cornerstones of quality lifestyles.
A Catholic Vocation, with respect for other religions: We educate students in the values of the Catholic Church throughout their schooling. We educate students to appreciate and respect the input of community members who profess different religions and beliefs.
Global Citizens: We educate active citizens who contribute to building a democratic, participatory, pluralistic and intercultural society. We encourage the acknowledgement, respect and appreciation of one's own and others' dignity, diversity and difference.
Social and Environmental Responsibility: Members of the CCB Community engage in work and activities with communities in which they show solidarity and empathy. We educate students to appreciate and respect the environment and strive to protect it through curricular and extracurricular activities.
Bilingualism and other languages: We promote and encourage the use of English and Spanish in the school context and support those who choose to learn other languages. We support the learning of French as a foreign language.
Leadership and Collaborative Work: We encourage collaborative work among members of the educational community and students are given the opportunity to develop leadership skills by assuming different roles.
Lifelong learners: We aim for our students to enjoy the learning process so that they long to learn for the rest of their lives. We engage the whole community in learning activities to stimulate research, critical thinking, and action-driven initiative.
Accreditation & Curriculum
CCB is a fully accredited school by the Council of International Schools (CIS). The school is an IB World school offering the IB Diploma programme since 1977, the Primary Years Programme since 2007 and the Middle Years Programme since 2011. The school is also accredited by the Colombian Ministry of Education to offer the Colombian Baccalaureate.
There are a total of 1230 students enrolled in the school, of which 600 constitute the Secondary School in grades 6-12. Ninety percent of enrolled students are Colombian nationals and ten percent are from other nationalities. All our students are accepted into university with 30-35% choosing to study abroad after graduation.
Location & Campus
Colombia is located on the northwestern corner of South America and its main language is Spanish. In addition to modern cities, colonial charm and a diverse and vibrant culture, the nation boasts spectacular natural beauty – the Andes Mountains, the Amazon rain forest, beautiful coastlines on both the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea, and La Guajira Desert.
Santiago de Cali, most commonly known as "Cali", is the capital of the Valle del Cauca department, with an estimated population of over two million; is the main urban and economic center in southwest Colombia, and has one of the fastest-growing economies in the country.
Cali is located in a rich agricultural valley at 1000 meters above sea level. Cali enjoys a mild tropical climate with pleasant temperatures which average 27 degrees centigrade all year round, one of the reasons that it is nicknamed the "Branch of Heaven”.
As a society built upon the blending of indigenous, African and Spanish traditions, diversity and open-mindedness form the base of the caleño culture. Cali’s cheerful nature is manifested in salsa, a Caribbean rhythm that is danced here in its own unique way, giving the city its other nickname “Salsa Capital”. The city is also a center for sports in Colombia, having hosted the Pan-American Games, the World Wrestling Championships and the UCI Track Cycling World Championships, amongst others.
Living in Cali has many benefits such as a varied and delicious local cuisine, lower cost of living, the climate and lower pollution than is typically found in other cities of similar size. There is an expat population in Cali and is a place where you will find a good network and social life.
CCB is located on a beautiful, green, 30-acre campus in Pance, a residential southern suburb of Cali where most of the independent schools and universities are located.
The Head of School reports to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the complete operation of the school in all its aspects: academics, recruitment, community relations, information technology, financial performance, human resources, strategy and innovation.
The Head of School sets a standard of excellence for all aspects of the School’s operation including:
- Supervising and working with Principals to develop the curriculum
- Maintaining accreditation programs
- Fostering a positive and safe school environment for the entire community
- Overseeing the development and implementation of policies, programs, curricular/ extra-curricular activities and day-to-day school operations
- Achieving the annual goals developed by the board
- Ensuring the school is safe and secure including Child Protection Policies and procedures
- Overseeing the implementation of the Strategic plan.
CCB is seeking a successful leader who possesses the following qualifications and qualities:
- An instructional leader who can deliver excellence in education in an inclusive school environment.
- Previous experience as a Head of School or as a Principal (Primary or Secondary) in an IB school with strong knowledge and understanding of the IB programmes (PYP, MYP and DP).
- A strategic thinker who is able to successfully communicate a vision for continuous improvement across all aspects of the school.
- A results-focused organizer and manager who can prioritize efficiently, motivate and lead a strong faculty.
- An individual with outstanding interpersonal skills and a capacity to successfully recruit, retain and further develop outstanding faculty, staff and administrators, especially for a school in a developing country.
- A team player capable of identifying and nurturing strengths while successfully managing weaknesses.
- A dedicated and visible ambassador of the school’s core values which are strongly aligned with the IB learner profile.
- A natural communicator and listener, who understands the importance of getting and keeping all stakeholders on board, both within the school and the broader community.
- A working knowledge of spoken Spanish is a requirement.
- A global citizen, preferably with previous international experience.
- A teaching and leadership professional with a graduate degree in education or leadership.
Terms and conditions of appointment
The appointment will be for 3 years with the possibility of continuation with the agreement of both parties. The Board's intention is to appoint a new Head of School by early 2020 to commence at the start of the school year 2020–2021. The salary and benefit package for the Head of School is competitive and will be commensurate with the candidate's qualifications and experience.
We are delighted to announce that The Board of Directors of the Corporación Colombo Británico has asked us to lead the search for a Head of School.
Are you interested in the position and you meet the criteria? We’d love to hear from you. Please apply now, providing a letter of motivation along with your CV. In your letter of motivation, you will clearly outline your interest in the school and the position you are applying for, what you can bring to the role, and how you meet the profile requirements.
What happens next?
Should you progress to the next stage, you will be invited to continue the application process and will be required to provide the following:
- Employment history
- Education history
- University degree certificates (Note: Colombian Legislation requires that degrees must be the original diploma and have an apostille. This is a requirement to obtain the visa and to be recognized as a Head Master by the Colombian Ministry of Education.)
- Professional certificates/licenses confirming qualification in your field/s of expertise
- A copy of the biographical page of your passport
- Contact details for three supervisory referees—We will assume your referees can be contacted as soon as you save their contact information in the portal. Please do contact them in advance to prepare them for this request and only add them if you are happy for them to be contacted.
Child safeguarding and safer recruitment practices
If you progress to the final stage of the application process, you will be required to complete a comprehensive background check with an appropriate background screening agency to authenticate the information you have provided. The following checks will be required to progress with your application:
- Criminal checks conducted for every country in which you have lived for 6 months or more since the age of 18. Please note: you can provide existing background checks in your possession and only need to order additional background checks that are missing or those that do not cover the entire duration that you lived in a place.
- Global sanctions, social media checks, educational and professional qualification verification
This information must be completed when you enter the final stages of an application process.
Finalists will be invited to Cali, Colombia for an interview to meet with the Search Committee and constituent groups of the school community, with the intention of making a final selection shortly thereafter. Should they receive an outstanding application, the Selection Committee reserves the right to make an appointment before the closing date mentioned below.
5 January 2020