Is this position a good fit for you? Westwood International School has contracted CIS to manage applications for this position. We have worked closely with the school to learn what they need and are ready to share our expertise with you. Apply for this position through CIS so we can represent you, your skills and experience to the school.
Westwood International School
Head of School
effective September 2019
Westwood International School (WIS), is seeking an outstanding Head of School, responsible for all matters pertaining to child protection and the safety, welfare and advancement of all students, together with the day-to-day management of the school and the organizational development of the school in future years.
Westwood International School (WIS), is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World Continuum School in Gaborone, Botswana. The school, which has been operating since May 1988, is based on a 46,000 square metre purpose built site in Gaborone West.
The overall purpose of the school is to provide an international standard of education, which draws on both global and local perspectives and emphasises the need for a sustainable world. It is open to children of all backgrounds - the school community includes children from over 37 different countries with approximately 55% Batswana. The school hires well-qualified, diverse and professional staff from around the world.
The Head of School will report to the WIS Council (Board of Directors) and will have the following tasks and accountabilities:
- Set direction and manage the academic and business affairs of the school including, accreditation standards, curriculum choices, staff management and recruitment, and the improvement and maintenance of physical facilities.
- Manage development and execution of curricula, assessment, extra-curricular activities and local and global outreach.
- Act as primary liaison with the School Council.
- To oversee the financial status and fiscal operations of the school.
- To act as a representative of the school at meetings with City or Government Officials, Council of International Schools and other leading members or organizations within the local, national and international communities.
- To maintain effective communication with the parent and student body including private consultation and counselling as necessary.
- To stay abreast of developments in education in general, but specifically within the fields of international education.
- Research, develop and invite outside educational opportunities to the school to expand the awareness, education and broaden the standard curriculum and knowledge base.
- To act as the public face of the school.
Requirements and Qualifications
The successful candidate will possess the following:
Skills and qualities
- A strong work ethic
- Excellent leadership skills
- A consultative approach to decision making
- Thorough understanding of child protection and safety issues
- Thorough understanding of, and commitment to strong corporate governance
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and learning in all decision-making
- Thorough understanding of health, safety and quality issues
- A commitment to sustainable, environmentally-focused decision-making
- Excellent time management
- Excellent financial management skills
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Compassion and empathy towards others
- Openness and a willingness to engage with all constituencies within the school community
- Enthusiasm towards a focused but varied school community
- Active listening skills
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Imaginative, curious and a desire to explore new approaches
- Optimism and positivity
- A sense of humour
Qualifications and experience
- Bachelor of Education
- Masters of Education
- Teaching Certification
- A minimum of 5 years in a leadership role in an international school setting.
- Relevant experience of managing a school with combined International Baccalaureate Programmes, PYP/MYP and DP.
CIS is delighted to announce that Westwood International Schools has appointed CIS, represented by Pauline O’Brien, in consultation and with support of the CIS Leadership and the School Support & Evaluation Team, to lead the search for a Head of School.
Leaders who are interested in this opportunity, should email their CV and application letter to: email@example.com.
Candidates who already have an up-to-date leadership portfolio with CIS, should submit a cover letter of application.
18 January 2019
If the school receives an outstanding application, the Selection Committee reserves the right to make an appointment before the closing date. The review of files will begin as soon as applications are received. Finalists will be invited to Gaborone for final interview to meet with the Search Committee, Board and constituent groups of the school community, with the intention of making an appointment shortly thereafter.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Taskforce on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.