Is this position a good fit for you? Metropolitan School Frankfurt has contracted CIS to manage applications for this position. We have worked closely with the school to learn what they need and are ready to share our expertise with you. Apply for this position through CIS so we can represent you, your skills and experience to the school.
Metropolitan School Frankfurt
Secondary School Principal
effective August 2020
Metropolitan School Frankfurt is a co-educational international IB World School offering university preparatory programmes for ages 3 – 18. With over 600 students from 55 countries on roll, MSF is large enough to offer a wide selection of teaching and learning opportunities and small enough to have a family style atmosphere so that students feel at home.
The student body is 36% German and 64% international, comprised of over 50 nationalities, making MSF a truly diverse and international environment for students to learn and grow.
Our campus is located in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, 12 driving minutes from the city centre, easy to reach by public transport, bicycle or car. The spacious city campus in Frankfurt Rödelheim, a residential / office neighbourhood, is well connected to the city centre as well as the surrounding suburbs and villages in the northwest of Frankfurt. Our campus consists of an Early Years and Primary building, a large new Secondary building, a sizeable playground and parking facilities for staff and parents.
There are state-of-the-art modern classrooms, two new libraries, an IT centre, wireless internet throughout, drama rooms, three fully equipped science labs, high quality facilities for music, theatre and art, an assembly space for up to 200 guests and a Secondary Student Commons for assemblies, a large gym the size of three basketball courts and a roof-top sports pitch for outdoor PE, as well as a sizeable cafeteria with outdoor terrace.
The Secondary Principal Position has become available due to retirement and the Primary School Principal role is also being recruited for as the current Primary Principal will be focusing on her Assistant Director role next year.
Metropolitan School Frankfurt is an IB World School offering the IB Primary Years Programme for KG to Grade 5 (3 to 11 year olds) and the IB Diploma Programme for students in Grade 11 and 12. Our Middle Years curriculum in Grades 6-10, prepares students for the Cambridge International IGCSE examinations in Grade 10, while our IGCSE teaching is adapted to the philosophy and learning styles of the IB programmes, ensuring a smooth and seamless transition into the final two IB Diploma years.
Students are encouraged to develop self-confidence and independence in their learning throughout all areas of the curriculum. We strive to inspire them to become engaged in both academic and a wide range of extra-curricular programmes. Our average class size of 18 allows us to focus on the skills and talents of the individual student.
Internal and external assessments such as ISA, Aimsweb, IGCSE and IB Diploma examinations allow us to monitor and support student progress throughout the years.
Further details on MSF and our programmes are available on our website www.m-school.de.
You believe in a child-centred, supportive and caring teaching and learning approach catering to the needs of the individual student in order to prepare them for the challenges of the future, both academically and personally, in order to enable them to fulfill their potential.
You are a team builder and team player, listening to the needs of your staff, as well as your students and parents, in order to create an effective and enjoyable learning and working environment built on mutual trust and respect.
You are always seeking to improve your students’ experience, taking into account the latest research in learning, pedagogy, and successful organizations in order to support excellence in academics and personal development. You understand that your role is a leader of both the learning and development in the classroom and the learning and development of the adults in the school.
You are passionate about working in Primary School or Secondary School, respectively. Modeling our school's Mission Statement and setting the tone and spirit in our School, you bring out the best of our teachers and students throughout the entire school year.
Furthermore, you have strong leadership and interpersonal skills to transform new initiatives and goals into action. You inspire staff, students and families to see and realize possibilities and potential for learning and growth.
You should be able to articulate how you are able to inspire the respective division, support staff in delivering outstanding lessons and contribute positively to school morale and the MSF staff and parent community.
In particular, we are looking for someone who:
- supports the MSF Mission and Values (Independent Thinkers, Inspirational Teaching & Learning, International & Collaboration)
- is an inspirational, caring Principal who leads by example whilst further developing and supporting distributed leadership
- is a positive and proactive person looking to help deliver the vision and strategic growth of the school
- is an empathetic leader with outstanding communication skills (oral and written) and the ability to motivate and delegate effectively
- is committed to outstanding and inspirational teaching and learning and continual improvement
- demonstrates cultural sensitivity and understanding
- works collaboratively and effectively with the leadership team, teachers and parents
- plans and manages budgets carefully
- has strong organizational and technology skills to support student learning, assessment and school management
- has a thorough, in-depth understanding of the Primary Years Programme of the IB (Primary) / IGCSE and IB Diploma Programme (Secondary)
- has curriculum knowledge and understanding and awareness of current curriculum developments
- has experience of preparing and organising school accreditations and evaluations for IB, CIS and / or NEASC; accreditation team visit experience is desirable but not essential;
- has an administrative certification (Master’s degree strongly preferred) and prior experience as a primary / secondary administrator, ideally as a Principal in a mid-sized international and independent school setting
- has current knowledge and experience of instructional methodologies, “learner-centered” classrooms, programme development and evaluation, differentiated instruction for a range of students with learning needs, student assessment, personnel evaluation, and change processes
- has a genuine interest in and concern for students, student learning and student development
- has knowledge of and experience with advisory programmes
- has experience with and desire to work in a multicultural environment
- and last but not least, has a sense of humour
The day-to-day duties of the positions include, but are not limited to:
- Teaching & Learning: identification of staffing needs; teacher recruitment and orientation; scheduling and chairing regular staff meetings; supervision, appraisal and professional development of staff; approximately 10% to 20% teaching role (for example Gifted and Talented pull-out sessions); encouragement of curriculum innovation; monitoring of assessment and reporting
- Community: maintenance of good relationships with Parents; facilitating appropriate opportunities for parental involvement within the division; participation at school events and activities.
- Administration: preparation of the Primary / Secondary School’s master timetable; compilation of the calendar of events for the division; supervision and enforcement of safety regulations; identification of resource needs, participation in budget formation, oversight of the divisional budget.
- Communications: foster positive interactions between themselves and students, parents and colleagues throughout the school, sensitive to the various language needs of our diverse community. As a proactive member of our community, you should aim to ‘answer questions before they have been asked’, valuing face-to-face conversations, maintenance of effective communications within the division and with parents; liaison with the other divisional leaders (Early Years / Primary / Secondary) to ensure a carefully articulated programme between the Early Years, Primary and Secondary divisions.
- Collaboration: as divisional leader you foster and enable collaboration amongst your team, working together to ensure curriculum aims and objectives are met; sharing your knowledge and engaging professionally with your colleagues.
- Technology: identification of technology needs, support of technology integration across the curriculum, adept user of technology in an educational setting.
The Primary and Secondary Principals report directly to the Director and in whole school curriculum and development projects, to the Assistant Director. You are one of the five members of the School Leadership Team (SLT) and one of the nine members of the extended SLT. In close collaboration with the other SLT members you direct and coordinate overall school affairs for your respective division.
As divisional Principal you are assisted by divisional administration teams covering curriculum as well as administrative matters.
Child Protection and Safety
Metropolitan School Frankfurt promotes a safe and positive community and takes its obligation to protect all students with the utmost seriousness. All employees are bound by the MSF Policies and are required to provide police clearance certificates that are updated regularly. In addition, all staff are required to undergo child protection training.
CIS is delighted to announce that Metropolitan School Frankfurt has retained CIS, represented by Pauline O’Brien, in consultation and with support of the CIS Leadership and the School Support & Evaluation Team, to lead the search for a Primary School Principal and the search of a Secondary School Principal.
If you are interested in the Secondary School Principal position and meet the criteria, apply now via the link below. Please provide a letter of motivation along with your CV. The letter of motivation should clearly outline your interest in the school and the position you are applying for, what you would bring to the role and how you meet the requirements in the above profile.
Should you progress to the next stage, you will be invited to continue the application process and will be required to provide the following:
- Employment history
- Education history
- University degree/s (copies are sufficient)
- Certificates/licenses confirming qualification in your field/s of expertise (copies are sufficient)
- A copy of the biographical page of your Passport
- Criminal background checks from all countries where you have lived or worked as an adult (copies are sufficient)
- Global sanctions, social media checks and educational qualification verification conducted by a background screening agency (shortlisted candidates only)
- Contact details for three supervisory referees
This information must be complete when you enter the final stages of an application process. Finalists will be invited to MSF for interview to meet with the Search Committee and constituent groups of the school community, with the intention of making a final selection shortly thereafter. Should they receive an outstanding application, the Selection Committee reserves the right to make an appointment before the closing date mentioned below.
29 September 2019
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Taskforce on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.