We are pleased to announce three new virtual CIS foundation workshops to support our members as we purposefully and intentionally tackle racism in schools and universities across our global CIS community.
- Addressing Implicit Biases 28 or 29 October*
- Intercultural Competence and Achieving Equity in our Schools and Universities 11 or 12 November *
- Establishing Structures and Systems to Tackle Racism and Promote Equity in our Schools and Universities 30 November or 1 December*
Embracing diversity—the understanding of and respect for the similarities and differences of a range of individuals and peoples—is a fundamental value that all CIS members have committed to actively develop through education.
We are all accountable, and progress is dependent on strong foundational concepts that are grounded in being self-reflective, deliberate, and evaluative. Taking time to develop and strengthen our foundations—individually and institutionally—is essential, no matter how progressive or rudimentary we are in our thinking and actions.
Schools and universities will be in a better position to address the challenges faced by non-dominant racial and cultural groups, and the resulting bias and discrimination, by developing the behaviours and understanding at the core of intercultural competence.
We can help our members do the groundwork during our new one-day, 2.5 hour virtual and interactive workshops.
Our guest speakers bring extensive expertise in diversity, equity, and inclusion to help our community of international schools and universities to collaborate and build understanding of intercultural competence and its role in tackling racism and creating equity in their institutions.
* We are running each workshop twice so that you can choose the time/date to suit your time zone best.
Related content that helps us tackle racism together:
- Video—Watch and listen to Jane Larsson and Nunana Nyomi’s candid discussion about their different thoughts and feelings in the days that followed 25 May.
- Webinar—Listen to two webinars on Anti-Racist Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Approaches in Schools and Universities that facilitate dialogue among leaders from our school and university communities who have undertaken this work. Find them in the webinar libraries for schools and universities in the CIS Community portal.
- Committee—The CIS Board of Trustees has formed a Committee on Anti-racism, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to advance our work. Look for an update in the next issue of CIS News.