THE COUNCIL OF INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS (CIS)
Membership Engagement Manager
effective September 2021
The Council of International Schools (CIS) is a non-profit membership organization providing services to schools and higher education institutions globally that share a commitment to high-quality education, and a desire to provide students with the knowledge, skills and abilities to pursue their lives as global citizens.
CIS assists member schools to access, develop and gain recognition for leading international educational practices, facilitate student connections with top universities around the world and provide a quality international educational experience to globally-minded parents and students.
CIS Beliefs and Values
CIS serves a diverse learning community globally and believes it is important to embrace and incorporate diverse perspectives within its team. CIS values and fosters generative dialogue as an essential aspect of leadership, holistically establishing and refining objectives. CIS holds high standards of leadership in order to attract, retain and develop high-quality staff, as it believes that its success is dependent on the capabilities and commitment of its people.
CIS believes that compensation must be competitive within the markets and areas in which it operates, based upon individual performance, and fairly measured against well-defined objectives. CIS will promote from within, whenever possible and practical, and will delegate responsibility to build a strong organisation.
Safeguarding young people is central to our work at CIS and lays the foundation for everything we do. We recognise that to reduce risks to young people we must create a safe environment within CIS and the safer recruitment of staff is a key part of this. Please see our safeguarding policy for more information about our safer recruitment practices.
The Membership Engagement Manager will be based at the CIS office in Leiden, the Netherlands, and will be responsible to the Director of Membership Strategy & Communications for overall results.
The Membership Engagement Manager is a new role for an innovative leader who will focus on the engagement of member institutions and the development of a new team responsible for attracting new members and retaining current members. The Manager is a results-oriented problem-solver who enjoys connecting with members, designing processes and workflows to collect data and enable communications with and between members.
The Manager will supervise a team responsible for overseeing membership operations and designing membership campaigns. This will include managing membership enquiries, overseeing the application process, identifying, collecting and maintaining useful data from member institutions. The Manager leads and contributes to the team’s day-to-day work, working collaboratively with the communications team to promote the value of membership and the portfolio of services to member institutions. The Manager will develop new operational processes to manage data, utilize data systems to manage relationships and implement communications programmes to nurture relationships, working cross-functionally across the organisation to share membership information and trends.
- Support Future Members
- Design and maintain a user-friendly application process for members to collect relevant data and ensure its accuracy, working with the IT Systems team to integrate processes within membership data management systems.
- Develop engagement opportunities during the application process to retain interest and generate excitement about membership and the portfolio of services.
- Facilitate application review and processing, working closely with internal teams to evaluate potential members.
- Develop and oversee communications, manage membership enquiries and membership decisions using webforms, email, and phone calls.
- Oversee Onboarding of New Members
- Engage with new members to welcome them to the CIS community, learn about their needs and connect them with relevant services.
- Develop engagement opportunities for new members to interact with each other (webinars, meetings, etc.)
- Ensure required data is collected from new members in a timely manner.
- Work with the communications team to develop internal and external communications to celebrate new members joining the community.
- Member Engagement
- Oversee metrics to report on membership data and trends. Create internal programmes to share information with our global team, leadership team, and Board of Trustees.
- Develop business and system processes to manage membership data, working closely with the IT team.
- Manage and respond to membership inquiries, logging communications and connecting members with content experts and each other.
- Design membership retention and renewal campaigns.
- Conduct surveys to track membership growth and retention, and report on findings.
- Design strategy to ensure contacts are up-to-date; follow up on system bounces and opt-outs.
- Develop and oversee annual campaigns to update contacts, institutional figures, portal access, and compliance checks.
- Team Supervision
- Build and supervise a new team to support membership engagement work.
- Design team structure and manage assignments across staff, creating operational efficiencies to maximize organizational capacity.
- Monitor work and train staff to understand the team’s impact on results and celebrate accomplishments.
- Provide coaching and support to develop team member skills.
- Support Strategic Projects
- As part of the Extended Leadership Team, develop solutions to support cross-departmental strategic initiatives.
- Train, guide and provide resources to the global team to support the collection and maintenance of membership data.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Membership Strategy & Communications.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree or post-graduate qualification preferred.
- 4+ years of professional experience is required in marketing operations, customer service, or operational support role.
- 4+ years in a supervisory role managing staff with experience building new teams.
- Experience working in a global organization serving clients in multiple countries is preferred.
- Knowledge of global audiences; international living or working experience preferred.
- Instills trust: gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity; an ability to guide, manage and motivate a team using an accessible servant leadership approach.
- Values differences: recognises the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Global perspective: takes a broad view when approaching issues, using a global lens; a strong service orientation, working across multiple time zones, applying interpersonal communication and collaboration skills.
- Self-development: actively seeks new ways to grow and be challenged using both formal and informal development channels; a learning orientation.
- Experience developing and implementing business and systems processes to track member/ customer needs.
- Experience creating and running marketing programmes for building brand awareness and lead generation.
- Results-oriented; an ability to work to deadlines; strong project management skills with attention to detail.
- Analytical skills to inform decision-making ability.
- Computer literacy with ability to input, retrieve and maintain data in a CRM environment, demonstrated skills in the use of MS
- Office, SharePoint and CRM systems (Salesforce preferred).
- Experience developing system requirements for IT teams; an understanding of how to write user stories is preferred.
- Well-developed and demonstrated spoken and written English skills.
Remuneration and duration of engagement
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience required for the position.
The successful applicant will be engaged as a full-time employee. The ideal candidate would be willing to make a mid- to long-term commitment to this role.
Particulars of the search
Preferred starting date: September 2021
Deadline for receipt of applications: 4 July 2021
Proof of national origin and Dutch residence status, if applicable, will be requested during the selection process.
Should the successful applicant be a non-EU national, CIS will provide administrative and financial sponsorship related to their and their dependents’ legal authorisation to live and work in the Netherlands for the duration of their employment.
Additionally, should the successful applicant be based outside the Netherlands, CIS will offer a comprehensive relocation benefit and assistance with the move.
Application and interview process
- Applicants should submit their details, motivation letter, curriculum vitae (CV) and details of their Referees by completing this application form.
- Short-listed candidates will be asked to complete a written assignment responding to a set of guiding questions.
- Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview with the individual who would be their immediate supervisor/line-manager and possibly other colleagues. The interview may be virtual or in-person. Should candidates who are not based in the Netherlands be invited for an in-person interview, CIS will cover the expenses for their travel and lodging.
- CIS will collect and store applicants’ submitted documentation in Microsoft Office 365, will process the data for recruitment purposes only, and will not share it with anyone else. For unsuccessful applicants, the data will be kept until the position is filled, at which time CIS will either delete applicant data or, at their request or with their consent, retain it for possible future roles. For successful candidates, the data will be maintained in their personnel file.
- CIS strives to create a safe organisational culture and to safeguard the young people with whom we may come into contact through our work. For more information about our safer recruitment practices please see our safeguarding policy. Once the finalist candidate accepts a job offer for this position, CIS will guide the candidate through a process of background screening which will include criminal record checks and checks of some education qualifications. An employment agreement signed in advance of the completion of the background screening will be contingent upon the candidate’s eventual clearance as verified through receipt of the completed screening report. The background screening report will be retained for a period of six months, after which time CIS will take a record of the checks carried out but will delete the report.
Any enquiries should be directed to Human Resources via email: email@example.com