Updated 8 April 2020
School closures: What can countries learn from past emergencies?
31 March 2020—Brookings Center for Universal Education. Read article
Coronavirus and the campus: How can US higher education organize to respond?
March 2020—McKinsey & Company | Decision making nerve centres for universities. Read more
China closes borders to foreigners
ACAMIS COVID-19 Update #6 - Responding to China's recent message of closing its borders to foreigners on Friday 27 March at midnight. Read article
Crisis Management Matrix
2 March 2020—Scenario-based planning matrix for all departments in a school. Read more
Digital Teaching Toolkit (university focus)
Research and instructional technology services. Read more
5 tips for leadership in a crisis
March 2020—Leadership in a crisis: Responding to the coronavirus outbreak and future challenges. Read article
Book summary with tips for leading a remote work force
The Long-Distance Leader. Eikenberry and Turmel (Soundview summary). Read more
Free remote learning readiness worksheet
The worksheet is designed to help school leaders prepare for the eventuality of school closures during the COVID-19/coronavirus outbreak, and to safely and securely conduct aspects of the school day online. Our partners at 9ine have created it based on real school scenarios that they are currently supporting their clients with around the globe. Read article
A Q&A on coronavirus scenario planning
Financial Management Magazine says: “Scenario planning is vital for organisations when trying to adjust to the harmful, fast-moving virus outbreak. An expert shares advice.”
Data protection and privacy
Read this CIS & 9INE guidance on data protection and privacy implications of online and remote learning
- ICO (UK Supervisory Authority) new guidance on data protection and COVID-19, guidance on photos in school, and action taken against schools relating to photos
- FAQs: Video conferencing, remote learning & data protection
- A self-assessment tool and third-party processor checklist: 9ine has developed this data protection self-assessment toolkit for CIS Accredited Schools. This toolkit includes a checklist of actions that can help you to ensure that your systems comply with data protection principles. Schools that complete the toolkit will also have the opportunity to review their practice with 9ine in the areas of data protection, cybersecurity and internet filtering and monitoring.
- This Third-Party Processor Assessment Template is available to any CIS member and can be used to evidence your evaluation of third-party processors.
Information from other organizations
- International ACAC | Information for college admission counsellors
- IBO | Developing news and actions that are being taken to support and protect our community
- AISH | Information for school heads
- Finalsite | Resources, best practices, and examples to help your school effectively manage marketing, communications, admissions and advancement efforts
Free 17-hour course on the virus
Imperial College London is offering a free 17 hour course on the virus through Coursera. Looks like a good idea for those who want a solid foundation upon which to build their school's informed response.” Share by Andrew H Dougharty, Principal for Well-being and Pastoral Care at Global Jaya.
Survey data about coronavirus impact on global student mobility on US higher education campuses
Here are the results of The Institute of International Education's February survey. They gathered data on the effects of COVID‐19 (coronavirus) on global student mobility on US higher education campuses. Please note that institutional behaviours and decisions may have shifted since survey closed on 21 February. Shared by Nunana Nyomi, Associate Director of Higher Education Services at CIS.