21 April 2021
Tackling Racism: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in our Schools and Universities
A CIS virtual workshop series
We are all accountable for purposefully and intentionally tackling racism, diversity, equity, and inclusion in schools and universities across our global CIS community.
Progress is dependent on strong foundational concepts that are grounded in being self-reflective, deliberate, and evaluative. Taking time to develop and strengthen our foundations—individually and institutionally—is essential, no matter how progressive or rudimentary we are in our thinking and actions.
We can help you do the groundwork during these one-day, 2.5 hour virtual and interactive workshops we will address intercultural competence and help you achieve equity in your schools and universities.
You and your institution will be in a better position to address the challenges faced by non-dominant racial and cultural groups, and the resulting bias and discrimination, by developing the behaviours and understanding at the core of intercultural competence.
In these three interactive workshops, you will join guest speakers and your peers from international schools and universities to collaborate and build your understanding of intercultural competence and its role in tackling racism and creating equity.
Our workshop leaders:
|Eeqbal Hassim||Cynthia Roberson||Joel Llaben||Eleanor Parker||Erin Robinson|
|Nicole L.B. Furlonge||Judith King-Calnek||Chris Green||Ann Straub|
21 April 2021
22 April 2021
Rich conversations around implicit biases with other educators, excellent presenters who facilitated & shared important stories, strategies & suggestions for courageous conversations. Looking forward to continued dialogue with colleagues.
Related content that helps us tackle racism together:
- Blog—Read Anti racist, responsive leadership in international education
- Blog—Read The groundwork for anti-racism: Deep individual and institutional reflection
- Blog—Read Beyond 2020: Improving the values and actions of international education worldwide
- Blog—Explore a wide range of information and guidance on the CIS Perspectives blog.
- Video—Watch and listen to Jane Larsson and Nunana Nyomi’s candid discussion about their different thoughts and feelings in the days that followed 25 May.
- Webinar—Listen to two webinars on Anti-Racist Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Approaches in Schools and Universities that facilitate dialogue among leaders from our school and university communities who have undertaken this work. Find them in the webinar libraries in the CIS Community portal.
- Committee—The CIS Board of Trustees has formed a Committee on Anti-racism, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to advance our work. Look for an update in the next issue of CIS News.