effective 9 August 2019
Position announcement: Associate Teachers (salaried interns), YueCheng Kindergarten, Courtyard Campus (four positions)
An outstanding opportunity for four new graduates to live for up to a year in China and contribute to a pioneering holistic, child-centered approach to early childhood education in Beijing.
You are about to graduate from university or college - or possibly still at university and considering taking up to a year’s work experience overseas. Either way, you are considering a career in education and want to get some hands-on experience before embarking on further professional training or your first full-time job as a teacher. You wish to combine this valuable experience with living and working in a culture different from your own.
You are an independent thinker and learner looking for a position somewhat out of the ordinary. You are hoping to find a school that is totally dedicated to providing a values-based, future-oriented education. You’d like to immerse yourself in a new culture while benefiting from the professional supervision and support of experienced expatriate educators.
You want to make a difference in the lives of young children by contributing your knowledge, energy and enthusiasm to their learning. You have mother tongue English or equivalent and are willing to learn basic communication skills in Chinese.
The purpose of YueCheng Education (YCE) is to provide a future-oriented education for the children of Chinese and expatriate families living in Beijing. Founded on a passion to challenge and empower young people to live fulfilling and productive lives, YCE opened Beijing City International School (www.bcis.cn) in 2005. With the support of the YueCheng Educational Research Institute (YERI), this innovative school has provided the bedrock for YCE to extend its not-for-profit services to a wider community. The Learning Frontier (www.learningfrontier.cn) provides specialist support for children with learning and developmental needs, and the recently opened Reading Frontier (www.readingfrontier.com) inspires in children a passion for reading for life. YCE has now begun the construction of a network of Frontier Kindergartens, mainly for Chinese children. The strength of YCE lies in the quality of its international and Chinese staff, and the mutual support extended between the different but complementary institutions.
YueCheng Kindergarten, Courtyard Campus (Opening September 2019)
The beautiful Courtyard Campus (www.yuechengkg.com) juxtaposes sweeping modern lines with the traditional elegance of an original courtyard palace dating from the early Qing dynasty. Designed by master architect Ma Yansong, the campus is a purposeful metaphor for the education that our new flagship kindergarten will offer. The form of the campus and the philosophy of the educational program are rooted in the efficacy of harmonious relationships: between architecture and nature; old and new; youth and experience; tradition and future; China and the world.
The mission is ambitious. All children will be empowered to enjoy a positive, purposeful and healthy life, becoming confident and creative learners as they begin their educational journey. To this end, the holistic, child-centered program will be based on the following foundational principles:
- Planned intergenerational learning opportunities between the children and the citizens of the adjacent YueCheng Shuangqiao retirement community (opened October 2017);
- Multi-age learning groups, reflecting the relationships and responsibilities of the members of a family;
- Constructivist learning through investigative play;
- Free-flow learning spaces, inside and out, removing the conventional boundaries that constrain opportunities for young children to learn;
- No boundaries dual-language learning, enabling children to learn to speak, read, and write in either English or Chinese as appropriate to the context;
- Reading as a gateway to life-long learning and pleasure;
- Interactive, developmentally appropriate introduction to logical-mathematical thinking skills;
- Practical immersion in the arts and the development of a sense of beauty;
- The relationship between mind and body and the development of skills for fitness and a healthy lifestyle.
Associate Teacher (four positions: two each for children 2 to 3 years, and 3 to 5 years respectively)
Role description: The Associate Teacher assists the work of the lead teacher and class teachers. This will normally involve working with individuals and small groups of children to inspire and stimulate their learning. A specific goal will be to engage them in English language conversation as they embark on learning their second language with the context of a dual language program. The Associate Teacher will also take part in the children’s social activities including family-style lunch. The Associate Teacher will also lead after-school activities and games as part of the optional program for those children who wish to take part.
Reports to: The relevant Lead Teacher and Class Teachers.
- Mother tongue fluency in written and oral English
- Bachelor’s degree completed or in progress
- Desire to contribute to progressive, play-based learning experiences for young children
- Enthusiasm for a hands-on professional learning opportunity overseas
- Minimum age 20 years.
Responsibilities. These include the following:
- Contribute to fulfilling the school’s mission to empower every child to enjoy a positive and purposeful life
- Support the work of teachers in accordance with the program’s foundational principles (above)
- Maintain high but personalized expectations of students and self
- Promote and support the Kindergarten’s strategic goals
- Contribute to a collaborative and positive working environment
- Contribute to a calm, caring, and appropriately challenging environment for children
- Contribute to ongoing curriculum development
- Keep up to date on readings and research related to best teaching practices for young children
- Engage in professional development
- Engage parents as partners in their children’s learning
- Lead and participate in after-school activities for the children
- Attend staff meetings.
Associate teachers commit to working at the YueCheng Education Courtyard Campus for either one year (two semesters) or a half year (one semester). The dates of the semesters are as follows:
First semester: August to December
Second semester: January to July
The remuneration package includes:
- Half (50%) of the starting salary for a qualified and experienced teacher (paid monthly)
- Return airfare from home country to Beijing
- Shared occupancy of an apartment provided by the school
- Medical insurance (YCE group medical insurance scheme)
- Visa procurement assistance and costs covered for qualifying candidates
- Up to three (3) days paid interview leave
- Paid school holidays within the period of service
- Professional development opportunities
- Warm, caring and innovative school community
If you wish to apply for this position, please send a letter of application and resume / CV as soon as possible to the YCE Superintendent, Mr. Nick Bowley, at the following address: email@example.com
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to submit names of professional referees.