Atlanta International School
MYP Music Teacher & Director of Band Ensembles (Tentative)
effective 1 August 2020
ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Atlanta International School (AIS) is a preschool to grade 12 private, non-profit school with language immersion and International Baccalaureate (IB) Curriculum in the Buckhead area of Atlanta.
Our mission is simple - To develop courageous leaders who shape their world for the better. The core values that drive our school are:
- The joy of learning and purposeful effort.
- Mutual respect and understanding in an intentionally inclusive and intercultural community.
Teachers at AIS are innovators and leaders who have a passion for working with children in a multicultural community and are always seeking new ways to personalize learning. This is a full-time position teaching MYP Music & directing our Secondary School Band Ensembles.
START DATE: August 2020
REPORTS TO: Director of the Arts
- Teach four classes of MYP Music in a block schedule format.
- Direct both the Middle and Upper School Band Ensembles which meet twice a week and have two performances a year.
- In collaboration with other colleagues plan and implement effective units, lessons, and assessments with scaffolded learning activities.
- Encourage learning through inquiry, selecting age-appropriate projects for the students so they can become hands-on learners.
- Update and continue to develop the units and resources we have on Managebac & Google Classroom (curriculum software).
- Assist in our concerts and recital performance series.
- Communicate regularly with parents, to provide and explain information regarding students' social, academic, and behavioral progress.
- Be actively involved in school-wide, divisional, and grade-level meetings, with the opportunity to engage fully and openly in our professional learning community.
- Supervise Personal Projects as part of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme.
- Teach students as part of our after school private music lessons program (optional)
- Teachers are also encouraged to help participate in after school activities in support of our students.
- An MYP Music Teacher with a Bachelor's degree, preferably also a Masters in a relevant area.
- Proficient instrumental music skills, preferably with a variety of instruments.
- At least three years of Secondary School experience in an international school.
- Familiar with current international educational practices including inquiry & conceptual based learning, authentic assessment techniques, mixed-ability grouping, differentiation and strategies for learning differences.
- Familiar with criteria-based assessment and reporting.
- Experience with integrating technology into a 1:1 classroom environment.
- Experience in interdisciplinary collaboration and teaching.
- Experience with curriculum software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability and desire to work collaboratively with secondary school teachers, students, parents, and staff.
Atlanta International School is deeply committed to diversity among our staff and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this role, please send a resume and cover letter as attachments via email to email@example.com using 'MYP Music & Band Director' as the subject heading.
28 February 2020
Tamara Rambus, Director of Human Resources