Guangzhou Nanfang International School
effective 1 August 2019 (arrive in China 28 /7 /19). All initial contracts are for a two year period.
Guangzhou Nanfang International School (GNIS) is a co-educational international school in Guangzhou, China, that offers quality education in English at Secondary, Primary and Early Childhood levels. We are licensed by the Education Department of Guangdong and the Chinese Ministry of Education as an international school for expatriate children.
We are a school which provides a caring environment for our students and encourages the pursuit of excellence in academic and extracurricular endeavours. GNIS is committed to excellent academic standards across a balanced and complete academic programme. Towards that end, we offer the IB PYP and DP programmes and we are a candidate school for the MYP! We are also accredited by the Council of International Schools. We pride ourselves on offering the highest standard of curricula while being inclusive in our admissions.
- 3 programme IB school- emphasis on the IB philosophy and values
- A proprietary school, with a new ownership in place as of 2018
- Approximately 200 students from a range of national and cultural backgrounds
- Located out of the city center, close to a metro station and a bus line
- Teachers are expected to contribute to the after-school activities program
- Non-smoking campus
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Taskforce on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection. All hires are required to sign a Child Protection statement, as well as provide police clearance documents and recommendations from administrators. Our Child Protection commitment is detailed through our policy which is available on our website: gnischina.org
Guangzhou is a dynamic city with lots to offer in terms of international culture (theatre, dance, music) and local culture. The cost of living is low, the weather is generally good and the skies are almost always blue. Guangzhou is a transportation hub offering easy access by air and rail to international locations.
Life in China
- Most teachers live in apartment buildings close to the school or closest metro
- Many teachers drive electric bikes, but public transport is easy, cheap and convenient
- Household help is common
- Wide range of travel opportunities
- Reputable health care available with English-speaking doctors
- Strong and interesting local culture
- This is a community school, therefore all staff members are ‘Ambassadors’ for the school at all times.
- Cultural events (in English) come to the city often; ballet, theatre, concerts
- There were 300 sunny, blue sky days in Guangzhou last year
- The city is modern, offering something for everyone
- It may take some time to obtain visa/work permit
- Transferring money from China is very complicated, however the school will make a transfer for you each month at aid this process.
We are looking for teachers with ambition, energy, resilience and excellent teaching skills for 2019-20.
International and IB experience is not required, we will hire teachers with potential, providing they have the following:
- A Bachelor Degree
- Two years teaching experience
- 2 or more outstanding references
We are seeking a secondary music teacher to offer MYP and DP classes. It will also be important to inspire our students to take part in musical activities within the school and lead such activities.
Teaching and learning
- Emphasis on student-centered learning and collaborative planning
- Often only one or two teachers per subject
- CIS accredited & IB authorized
- Flexibility in terms of teaching assignment, classroom use, timetabling etc. is required
- Full participation in ongoing curriculum development, in addition to teaching, preparing and marking, is a professional expectation. Participation in meetings, and when appropriate, contributing to policy development are also expected
- Our students are multilingual; English is usually not their first language, so all teachers are expected to teach/reinforce language and support EAL students by differentiation in lessons.
- Resilience, collaboration, flexibility and cultural awareness are highly valued
- Pedagogical and administrative professionalism are valued equally highly.
IB MYP & IB DP
Applicants should send their:
Resume (including the e-mail and telephone number of three referees) & Letter of motivation to Denise Walsh, Head of School (HeadofSchool@GNISChina.org)
Ongoing until filled
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Taskforce on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.