Atlanta International School
College Counselor - Tentative
effective 1 August 2020
ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Atlanta International School (AIS) is a preschool to grade 12 private, non-profit school with language immersion and International Baccalaureate (IB) Curriculum in the Buckhead area of Atlanta.
Our mission is simple - To develop courageous leaders who shape their world for the better. The core values that drive our school are:
- The joy of learning and purposeful effort.
- Mutual respect and understanding in an intentionally inclusive and intercultural community.
This is a full-time position working with students in grades 9-12 in age-appropriate ways throughout the college process.
START DATE: August 2020
REPORTS TO: Head of College Counseling
- Counsel, mentor, and support a group of students, grades 9-12, and their families throughout the college process
- Compile a working list of colleges, as well as supervise the writing and editing of college essays, and the writing of individualized recommendation letters for each counselee
- Educate the students, families, and faculty about the college process; trends in admissions, both nationally and internationally; the importance of fit in the college search
- Be aware of and educate students about what makes college applications stand out and educate teachers about what makes good recommendation letters; educate universities and admissions reps about AIS and the IB
- Visit universities and expand our school's relationships with colleges
- Be aware of and work with the other college counselor in researching, collecting, and disseminating the most up-to-date information regarding the college process
- Organize dynamic college-related programs such as the Mock Interview Day, College Kick-Off Night for juniors and parents, annual meeting for seniors and parents, and other needs that arise
- Actively participate in regional, state, national and international professional organizations
- Adhere to professional and ethical guidelines in accordance with the American Counseling Association and the American School Counseling Association as well as NACAC.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Master's degree in counseling or administration desirable
- Multiple years of relevant experience working in selective college admissions desirable
- Superior writing, oral communication, and organization skills.
- The training, personality, relevant experience, and ability to work effectively with students and other populations such as teachers, administrators, parents and college admissions officers
- The ability to respond effectively to the needs of a diverse and demanding population of students and families from all over the world in furtherance of the school's mission.
Atlanta International School is deeply committed to diversity among our staff and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this role, please send a resume and cover letter as attachments via email to email@example.com using 'College Counselor' as the subject heading.
28 February 2020
Tamara Rambus, Director of Human Resources