Atlanta International School
Chinese Subject Leader and Language Acquisition Teacher
effective 1 August 2020
ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Atlanta International School (AIS) is a preschool to grade 12 private, non-profit school with language immersion and International Baccalaureate (IB) Curriculum in the Buckhead area of Atlanta.
Our mission is simple - To develop courageous leaders who shape their world for the better. The core values that drive our school are:
- The joy of learning and purposeful effort.
- Mutual respect and understanding in an intentionally inclusive and intercultural community.
Teachers at AIS are innovators and leaders who have a passion for working with children in a multicultural community and are always seeking new ways to personalize learning. This is a full time position (5 classes) teaching students ages 11 - 18. Student levels in Chinese Language Acquisition vary. There are students from a partial Chinese immersion programme in Primary School, but also students without prior exposure to the target language. In Language Acquisition, classes are offered from the emergent to the proficient level.
START DATE: August 2020
REPORTS TO: Head of Language Department
- A full-time position encompasses teaching five classes
- Collaborate with different groups creating, planning, documenting and moderating assessments.
- Advisor to a group of 10 to 15 students and participate in an annual field trip.
- Supervise Personal Projects and/or Extended Essays as part of the IB Programme.
- Supervise students during break and lunch on a rotating schedule, approximately 1 hour a week.
- Bachelor's degree in Education or equivalent
- Minimum 5 year teaching experience
- Experience with the MYP/DP or similar program
Key Responsibilities as the Subject Leader:
- Develop and align Chinese curriculum with other languages tracks, school and IBO requirements
- Prepare annual department budget in accordance with the departmental goals and school goals
- Recruit, train, empower and appraise teachers, and being a mentor and supporter to colleagues
- Data-driven decision making to define and follow up department goals
- Develop and maintain a relationship with the parents, communities and partners for outreaching activities and programs
- Organize and coordinate the China exchange program, and local cultural field trip
Knowledge and Skills as the MYP and DP Teacher:
- Integrate authentic texts and teach thematically
- Balance Chinese character learning and skills acquiring
- Keeping abreast of developments in the field
- Knowledgeable about Project Zero practices - (Making Thinking Visible, 8 Cultural Forces, etc.)
- Creative and critical thinking skills
- Classroom management and differentiation skills
- Self-management skills - organization, affective and reflective skills
- Technology skills - flexibility to work on different platforms
- Communication skills - effectively communicate with different stakeholders in the community
- Adaptability skills - work in a changing environment
Atlanta International School is deeply committed to diversity among our staff and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this role, please send a resume and cover letter as attachments via email to email@example.com , using 'Chinese Teacher' as the subject heading.
28 February 2020
Tamara Rambus, Director of Human Resources