Atlanta International School
Primary School STEAM/Digital Coach
effective 1 August 2019
Applications are invited from dedicated and enthusiastic, professional educators for the position of STEAM/Digital coach in the Primary School for the 2019-2020 school year. Atlanta International School delivers the International Baccalaureate-PYP curriculum through a dual language immersion program in the Primary School.
The role of the STEAM Coaches is to support the Primary School Faculty in their delivery of science, technology, engineering, arts and math within the framework of the PYP Units of Inquiry. When working with students the goal is to instill a sense of agency where students feel empowered to interact with and shape their world. As stated in the Agency by Design framework, “a sensitivity to design develops when young people and adults have opportunities to look closely and reflect on the design of objects and systems, explore the complexity of design and understand themselves as designers of their worlds”.
The school is a vibrant learning community and the nature of the program makes specific demands of our Faculty. The successful Teacher Candidate will have:
- Training and experience in a Primary School setting
- An international perspective and/or international teaching experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- An unwavering commitment to the students
- The ability to differentiate for differing ability levels and learning styles
- A commitment to integrating STEAM into the existing trans-disciplinary curriculum
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability, and desire, to work collaboratively with co-teachers as well as with the greater school community including students, staff, and parents
IBPYP teaching experience is preferred, but good applicants with other curriculum experience are also welcome to apply.
Salary and Workload:
The salary range for this full time position is outlined by the teacher’s pay scale. This role can include the co-responsibility for organizing and running after school STEAM activities for the primary school. A stipend of $11,000 covers this responsibility if it is part of the role.
Reports to: 3K-12 STEAM coordinator, Head of Primary School
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Use a coaching approach to support Primary School Faculty in building their capacity for effective integration of STEAM and problem-based learning.
- In collaboration with the other STEAM coach, set up and maintain a maker space that is available to students 3K-Gr. 5. Coordinate the use of the space. Identify and manage STEAM related resources. Supervise the maker space for student use during recess and snack/lunch breaks.
- Ensure all AIS safety protocols are followed.
- Cooperate with any STEAM related enrichment programs, sharing space, equipment and insights.
- Work with the 3K-12 STEAM coordinator and PYP curriculum coordinator to define and promote STEAM to the AIS community.
- Develop metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of STEAM learning in the Primary School.
- Identify professional development opportunities for faculty in the area of STEAM teaching. Communicate with the other Primary STEAM coach, Primary School Digital Coach, 3K-12 STEAM Coordinator, PYP coordinator, Head of Research and Learning Design and Head of Primary School to organize opportunities to develop STEAM competency in the PS faculty.
- Work in collaboration with the grade level teams, the PYP Coordinator, the other STEAM coach and the 3K-12 STEAM coordinator to support the development of STEAM projects for Primary School.
- Build relationships with local organizations and capitalizes on emerging learning opportunities (ex. Aquarium, Zoo, Universities, Business and Government entities). Suggest to grade level teams ways to capitalize on these relationships.
- Co-curricular responsibilities: Work with outside organizers of competitions such as Odyssey of the Mind, FIRST Lego, FIRST robotics, Math and Science Olympiads, etc… Support AIS teams as they prepare for their participation. Coordinate the team logistics with parents and other faculty members (stipend paid for this extra responsibility).
- Work with the STEAM 3K-12 coordinator and the Head of Primary to develop a yearly budget.
- Attend grade level, faculty and other meetings as required.
To apply, please submit a resume and letter of interest. Please also include the job title in your subject line (Primary School STEAM Coach).
31 January 2019
Kristen Breedlove, Director of Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org