Atlanta International School
MYP Visual Arts & Media or Music Teacher
effective 1 August 2020
ABOUT OUR SCHOOL
Atlanta International School (AIS) is a preschool to grade 12 private, non-profit school with language immersion and International Baccalaureate (IB) Curriculum in the Buckhead area of Atlanta.
Our mission is simple - To develop courageous leaders who shape their world for the better. The core values that drive our school are:
- The joy of learning and purposeful effort.
- Mutual respect and understanding in an intentionally inclusive and intercultural community.
Teachers at AIS are innovators and leaders who have a passion for working with children in a multicultural community and are always seeking new ways to personalize learning. This is a full-time position teaching four classes of MYP Visual Arts and one class of either Media or Music.
START DATE: August 2020
REPORTS TO: Director of Arts
- Teach 4 classes of MYP Visual Arts in a block schedule format
- Teach 1 class of MYP Media or Music in a block schedule format
- Assist in curating and supporting our visual art exhibitions
- In collaboration with other colleagues plan and implement effective units, lessons, and assessments with scaffolded learning activities
- Encourage learning through inquiry, selecting age-appropriate projects for the students so they can become hands-on learners
- Update and continue to develop the units and resources we have on Managebac & Google Classroom (curriculum software)
- Communicate regularly with parents, to provide and explain information regarding students' social, academic, and behavioral progress
- Be actively involved in school-wide, divisional, and grade-level meetings, with the opportunity to engage fully and openly in our professional learning community
- Supervise Personal Projects and/or Extended Essays as part of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme
- Lead an advisory group (pastoral care) and have various supervisory duties throughout the week
- Available to assist students during some non-teaching periods for extra tutorials
- Teachers are also encouraged to help participate in after school activities in support of our students.
- A Secondary School Visual Arts Teacher with a Bachelor's degree, preferably also a Masters in a relevant area
- Has proficient skills in a variety of visual arts forms, music or media
- At least three years of Secondary School experience in an international school
- Familiar with current international educational practices including inquiry & conceptual based learning, authentic assessment techniques, mixed-ability grouping, differentiation and strategies for learning differences.
- Familiar with criteria-based assessment and reporting
- Experience with integrating technology into a 1:1 classroom environment
- Experience in interdisciplinary collaboration and teaching
- Experience with curriculum software
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability and desire to work collaboratively with secondary school teachers, students, parents, and staff.
Atlanta International School is deeply committed to diversity among our staff and applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this role, please send a resume and cover letter as attachments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org , using 'MYP Visual Arts' as the subject heading.
28 February 2020
Tamara Rambus, Director of Human Resources