Is this position a good fit for you? Berlin International School has contracted CIS to manage applications for this position. We have worked closely with the school to learn what they need and are ready to share our expertise with you. Apply for this position through CIS so we can represent you, your skills and experience to the school.
Berlin International School
Middle Years Principal
effective August 2019
Berlin International School (B.I.S) is a leading, non-profit day school offering a comprehensive education program for students aged 6 to 18 at Campus Dahlem. B.I.S is an IB World School offering the PYP, IGCSE and IB Diploma Programmes, in addition to facilitating the BBR, and MSA exams of the Berlin State system. It is also one of the few international schools in the region offering an accredited US High School Diploma. Berlin International School has more than 60 nationalities represented in a student body of about 820, which offers a rich, multi-cultural educational experience for staff, students and parents. The school is set in one of Berlin’s greenest suburbs, a short metro ride from the town center, and close to several universities and embassies.
B.I.S now seeks an experienced Middle Years Principal to lead and inspire the Middle Years section at B.I.S, to ensure that all learners have the knowledge, skills, and values to thrive in the future world.
The Middle Years Principal is responsible to the Secondary Principal, works closely with the IB Coordinator (sic), Operations Coordinator, Professional Learning and Development Coordinator, Primary School Principal, Admissions Officer to:
- Provide educational leadership on all facets of Middle Years life specifically Curriculum. Teaching & Learning and Pastoral
- Demonstrate a belief in the school’s mission and act to support its implementation and ongoing revision
- Be responsible for the day-to-day operations, communications and community relations of the Middle Years section
- Communicate and engage regularly with faculty and parents to inform the community about relevant issues and to maintain trust
- Create a healthy and respectful learning culture that ensures a safe, positive climate for learning
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a safe, functional and attractive Middle Years learning environment maximising use of space and external environment (Berlin and beyond) for student learning
Teaching and Learning
- Ensure that the concepts underpinning Approaches to Teaching and Learning (ATL) are effectively implemented in Grade 6 to 10 in such a way that supports future IB learners.
- Provide leadership and consultancy to departments, grade level teams, and individuals in the written, taught and learned elements of the curriculum framework
- Create opportunities for teams and individuals to collaborate in order to achieve maximum meaningful integration of the Secondary curriculum
- Work with the Secondary Heads of Department to review and revise written curriculum documents, provide staff professional development and clear communication to parents about these curricular areas
- Work closely with the IBDP Coordinator to ensure program and curriculum continuity and the effective implementation of the IB Learner Profile
- Ensure there is an effective and operational curriculum review cycle
- Exercise oversight of the Middle Years Review Process and implementation thereof
- Develop and implement school curriculum policies
- Maintain curriculum continuity in the school in conjunction with the HoDs and the IBDP Coordinator
- Ensure the regular reporting of student progress to parents in line with programme requirements
- Actively develop and foster positive relationships with students
- Monitor progress of students and oversee the implementation of action plans and support for students in collaboration with subject and learning support teachers. Facilitate the collation, analysis, and sharing of students assessment data (e.g. ISA) with appropriate stakeholders
- Take responsibility for general discipline matters beyond the management of classroom teachers and team leaders
- Develop, monitor and supervise transitions and support programmes
- Support student leadership and the School Student Council
- Liaise with the Head of Admissions to manage Middle Years student admissions
- Ensure that Middle Years aspects of the Student/Parent Handbook is up to date
- Directly supervise HoDs, MSA/BBR and IGCSE Coordinators and Middle Years faculty and staff
- Liaise with the relevant staff in the continued development of the B.I.S. Middle Years Curriculum
- Identify staffing needs, advertise, interview and make recommendations on appointments to the Secondary Principal
- Ensure that Middle Years staff has access to professional development that supports school and professional goals ensuring the priorities necessary for the overall school program
- Provide effective orientation and induction for new Middle Years teaching staff and ensure that the procedures for appraisal are carried out according to policy
- Maintain open communication with staff to inspire, encourage, mentor and build professional learning community!
- Allocate positions of responsibility, and other resources within the building in consultation with other administrators
- Assist and support the Secondary Principal and participate in the recruitment of new faculty staff
- Conduct regular meetings with Middle Years faculty and staff
- Be an active and positive member of the B.I.S. Secondary Leadership Team
- Give input to the Principal in management decisions
- Ensure that all agreed decisions are communicated and implemented effectively
- Ensure that the Secondary Principal is kept informed of significant information and is sent minutes of all meetings
- Strong teaching background combined with a thorough understanding of educational theory
- Motivator- Influencer
- Excellent communicator
- Coaching mentality
- Human - someone who cares about people and their wellbeing
- Able to balance work and life
- Can do, will succeed attitude
- Leads active, healthy lifestyle
- Some familiarity with Germany, culture, language, etc.
CIS is delighted to announce that Berlin International School has retained CIS Leadership Search Services to lead the search for their next Middle Years Principal.
If you are interested in this position and meet the criteria, apply now via the link below.
Please provide a letter of motivation along with your CV. The letter of motivation should clearly outline your interest in the school and the position you are applying for, what you would bring to the role and how you meet the requirements in the above profile.
Should you progress to the next stage, you will be invited to continue the application process and will be required to provide the following:
- Employment history
- Education history
- University degree/s (copies are sufficient)
- Certificates/licenses confirming qualification in your field/s of expertise (copies are sufficient)
- A copy of the biographical page of your Passport
- Criminal background checks (pdf) from all countries where you have lived or worked as an adult (copies are sufficient)
- Contact details for three supervisory referees
This information must be complete when you enter the final stages of an application process. Finalists will be invited to Berlin for interview with the intention of making a final selection shortly thereafter.
Should they receive an outstanding application, B.I.S reserves the right to make an appointment before the closing date mentioned below.
If you have any questions about the position, the application process, or require any assistance, please contact the team: firstname.lastname@example.org
3 June 2019
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Taskforce on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.