Is this position a good fit for you? YueCheng Education has contracted CIS to manage applications for this position. We have worked closely with the school to learn what they need and are ready to share our expertise with you. Apply for this position through CIS so we can represent you, your skills and experience to the school.
Founding Principal, YueCheng Kindergartens – Shuangqiao Courtyard Campus
effective August 2019
An outstanding opportunity to lead a pioneering approach to play-based, child-centred early childhood education in China.
You are an independent thinker and learner looking for a leadership position out of the ordinary. You may already have successful experience as a leader. Alternatively, you may be a young teacher with a few years’ experience, bursting to put your most ambitious ideas into practice. Either way, you want to find a pioneering school that is totally dedicated to providing a values-based, future-oriented education that is impossible within the constraints of a conventional international school curriculum. You wish to play a key role in developing that curriculum, year by year. You are a good listener. You know that high quality education demands purposeful collaboration among learners: leaders, teachers, and children. You do not place limits on what can be achieved. You wish to build strong links with the host country community and work within a locally-founded organization that provides outstanding opportunities for career development.
The purpose of YueCheng Education (YCE) is to provide a future-oriented education for the children of Chinese and expatriate families living in Beijing. Founded on a passion to challenge and empower young people to live fulfilling and productive lives, YCE opened Beijing City International School (www.bcis.cn) in 2005. With the support of the YueCheng Educational Research Institute (YERI), this innovative school has provided the bedrock for YCE to extend its not-for-profit services to a wider community. The Learning Frontier (www.learningfrontier.cn) provides specialist support for children with learning and developmental needs, and the recently opened Reading Frontier (www.readingfrontier.com) inspires in children a passion for reading for life. The strength of YCE lies in the quality of its international and Chinese staff, and in the mutual support extended between the different but complementary institutions.
YCE has now begun the construction of a network of kindergartens for Chinese children.
YueCheng Kindergartens, Shuangqiao Courtyard Campus (Construction to be completed May 2019)
The beautiful Courtyard Campus (www.yuechengkg.com) is the first of the YCE kindergartens. It will open its doors to students in the first week of September 2019. The design of the building juxtaposes sweeping modern lines with the traditional elegance of an original courtyard palace dating from the early Qing dynasty. Designed by master architect Ma Yansong, the campus is a purposeful metaphor for the education that our new flagship kindergarten will offer. The form of the campus and the philosophy of the educational program are rooted in the efficacy of harmonious relationships: between architecture and nature; old and new; youth and experience; tradition and future; China and the world.
The kindergarten mission is ambitious. All children will be empowered to enjoy a positive, purposeful and healthy life, becoming confident and creative learners as they begin their educational journey. To this end, the distinctive holistic, child-centred curriculum is now being developed, based on the following foundational principles:
- Planned intergenerational learning opportunities between the children and the citizens of the adjacent YueCheng Shuangqiao retirement community (opened October 2017);
- Multi-age learning groups, reflecting the relationships and responsibilities of the members of a family;
- Constructivist learning through investigative play;
- Free-flow learning spaces, inside and out, removing the conventional boundaries that constrain opportunities for young children to learn;
- No boundaries dual-language learning, enabling children to learn to speak, read, and write in either English or Chinese as appropriate to the context;
- Reading as a gateway to life-long learning and pleasure;
- Interactive, developmentally appropriate introduction to logical-mathematical thinking skills;
- Practical immersion in the arts and the development of a sense of beauty;
- The relationship between mind and body and the development of skills for fitness and a healthy lifestyle.
The Founding Principal of YCE Shuangqiao Courtyard Campus is a senior leadership position, with overall responsibility for the campus. He or she will have considerable freedom in implementing the curriculum, which is broadly based on the foundational principles outlined above. The Founding Principal will work in close collaboration with the school’s Chinese Director who will be responsible for government relations and the management of the buildings and facilities. The Founding Principal will also collaborate closely with the Director of the YueCheng Educational Research Institute (YERI) who provides research and professional development support for all YCE institutions.
The fundamental role of the Founding Principal is to ensure a seamless fusion of the best of China and the world in implementing this pioneering, child-centred, dual language program, which will be taught by teams of expatriate and Chinese teachers.
Prior to assuming duties, the appointee will receive a thorough orientation in the social, academic and cultural considerations that will be important to the successful implementation of this important role.
- Reports to: Superintendent, YueCheng Education.
- Collaborates with: Director, YueCheng Educational Research Institute & Chinese Director, Courtyard Campus
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Provide overall leadership for the Courtyard Campus
- Ensure that the academic program is implemented in alignment with the mission, vision, and values of YueCheng Education and of the YCE kindergartens
- Ensure that the academic program is aligned to the curriculum’s foundational principles (see above)
- Ensure a safe and secure environment for students, teachers, and staff
- Provide inspirational leadership for the education and welfare of the children
- Lead ongoing development of the curriculum, and of the assessment and reporting of student progress
- Lead the professional development of teachers, assistant teachers, and teacher assistants
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with parents in support of student education and welfare
- Provide an ongoing education program for parents
- Implement the enrolment and retention of students in alignment with YCE criteria and guidelines
- Implement the recruitment, orientation, appraisal, motivation and retention of teachers
- Establish and maintain high professional expectations for all teachers and staff
- Ensure the provision of high quality educational resources
- Support and participate in promotional activities
- Ensure the understanding and implementation of all YCE policies and procedures
- Liaise with the Director of YERI and with the heads of other YCE institutions
- Provide regular reports to the Superintendent, YueCheng Education
- The Founding Principal of Courtyard Campus will contribute to the successful establishment of subsequent YCE kindergarten campuses, the next of which is planned to open in September 2019.
- In due course the Founding Principal will be considered for appointment as Executive Principal for all YueCheng kindergartens.
Qualifications and desired attributes:
- A profound appreciation of the power of education to contribute to the creation of better future
- Philosophical alignment with YCE’s mission, vision, and values and with the guiding statements of the YCE kindergartens
- Early childhood or pre-school education qualification
- Minimum 8 years’ experience as an early childhood educator
- Strong leadership capacity; evidence of effective school leadership preferred
- Experience of and/or commitment to developing a future-oriented curriculum including personalized learning and investigative play
- Experience of and/or commitment to collaborating in the development and implementation of a bilingual/dual language program for early learners
- Strong desire to lead in a school which fuses the best of local and international educational principles and practices in order to create something that is better than either
- Strong desire to work with both local and international teachers and to work in, and facilitate the creation of, collaborative teams;
- Desire to work with local student and parent population
- Excellence in communicating orally and in writing
- The ability to gain and maintain the confidence of highly motivated teachers, parents and students
- High emotional intelligence, including the capacity to respond with compassion and firmness while maintaining the respect of parents, students and colleagues from different cultures
- A leadership style characterized by inclusiveness, appropriate transparency, approachability and support while remaining decisive and accountable
- A sense of humor and ability to see the good in all and presume positive intentions
- Growth mindset
- Flexible thinking
- A strong interest in living and working in China.
The attractive salary is commensurate with the seniority of the position. The benefits package includes furnished housing, medical insurance, annual home leave airfare for employee and family, excellent professional development opportunities, and the benefit of belonging to a highly engaged educational team within a warm, caring and innovative community.
An expatriate parent of school-age children will be granted up to two full-fee discounts on places at the Courtyard Campus or at Beijing City International School, depending on the child’s age and subject to student enrolment criteria and availability.
CIS is delighted to announce that YueCheng Education has retained CIS Leadership Search Services to lead the search for the Founding Principal of YueCheng Kindergartens – Shuangqiao Courtyard Campus.
If you are interested in this position and meet the criteria, apply now via the link below. Please provide a letter of motivation along with your CV. The letter of motivation should clearly outline your interest in the school and the position you are applying for, what you would bring to the role and how you meet the requirements in the above profile.
Should you progress to the next stage, you will be invited to continue the application process and will be required to provide the following:
- Employment history
- Education history
- University degree/s (copies are sufficient)
- Certificates/licenses confirming qualification in your field/s of expertise (copies are sufficient)
- A copy of the biographical page of your Passport
- Criminal background checks from all countries where you have lived or worked as an adult (copies are sufficient)
- Contact details for three supervisory referees
This information must be complete when you enter the final stages of an application process.
Finalists will be invited to Beijing for interview with the intention of making a final selection shortly thereafter.
Should they receive an outstanding application, YCE reserves the right to make an appointment before the closing date mentioned below.
If you have any questions please contact the team:firstname.lastname@example.org.
30 March 2019
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Taskforce on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a higher standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.