Ann Marie Christian
Area of expertise provided as part of the CIS Affiliated Consultant Network:
- Student Wellbeing: Protection, Safety & Security
Ann Marie Christian is an international Safeguarding Consultant living in the United Kingdom. Her first experience of international work was in 2008 when she travelled to Dubai to deliver a four-day child protection training programme for an international school. She has been working in the education safeguarding sector for the last 17 years.
Ann Marie is a qualified social worker and has worked in front line child protection for over 20 years. This includes managing child protection teams and social workers in schools. She was a school-based social worker in the mid-nineties and can therefore appreciate the challenges schools face when working with families and referring cases to Children Social Care. She worked as a LADO (Local Authority Designated Officer) and led on allegations against staff in education settings and carried out behaviour and safety reviews on behalf of local authorities. She has been involved in two serious case reviews and has a fantastic insight into safeguarding reporting and staff responsibilities.
Ann Marie has always been passionate about sharing good practice and was a LSCB (Local Safeguarding Children Board) trainer for five years delivering multi agency training. She’s been supporting the Boarding School Association (BSA) with child protection seminars and training since 2012.
In 2014, she started delivering child protection and safeguarding seminars for ISI Consultancy. She’s invited frequently to speak at national conferences in the UK as a keynote speaker or deliver specialist workshops on child protection. Ann Marie was invited to speak at a Safeguarding Conference “Every Child Matters in the Caribbean” in May 2016.
Ann Marie was featured in the TES Newspaper in 2001 highlighting her role as a school based social worker at a school in inner London. In 2003, she was selected to write a chapter in a book about her role as a school based social worker. In 2015, she was chosen to be an author of a book titled “A Practical Guide to Safeguarding for Schools, Advice & Strategies for Primary and Secondary Schools” (Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2017).
She has been writing articles about child protection in schools since 2003 and continues to share good practice and is a regular contributor to various journals and magazines including, Optimus Education, SEN Magazine and Head teachers update.
Ann Marie is an Associate Consultant with the NSPCC (National Society to Prevent Cruelty to Children) and delivers bespoke training and consultancy. She works exclusively with independent schools, Local Authority and Academy Trusts schools.
In 2015, she was commissioned by the CEO of an Academy Trust to carry out an independent safeguarding investigation after a high profile case involving an allegation against staff. This was a successful project and gave the CEO an independent report on the procedures.
Ann Marie provides:
- NSPCC accredited bespoke Child Protection Training
- Accredited Safer Recruitment training approved by the Secretary of State
- Bespoke Safeguarding audits
- Creating, training and mentoring safeguarding teams in education settings
- ‘Cultural Harmful’ practice Training
- Safeguarding training promoting the voice of the child
- Specialist safeguarding Consultancy
- Strategic safeguarding consultancy
- Safeguarding good practice in schools: http://bit.ly/2dX80js
- Threshold of child protection and the challenges for schools: http://bit.ly/2fggMuU
- Thresholds of child protection: http://bit.ly/2evPa3O
- SEN and child protection: http://bit.ly/2eG7ckn
- Safeguarding: Keeping children safe in education: http://bit.ly/2g1Hg3H
- A Practical Guide to Safeguarding for schools, advice & strategies for primary and secondary schools, Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2017