CHILD PROTECTION FOUNDATION WORKSHOP | TOKYO
Dates: 16 - 17 January 2019
Location: American School in Japan, Tokyo, Japan
Training on a wide range of child protection issues, specifically tailored to the needs of international school communities
- 16 January: 08.30 - 18.30 (including evening reception)
- 17 January: 08.30 - 17.00
During this two-day workshop you will learn about key topics relating to child protection in international school communities. If you are a school leader or counsellor, this workshop will help you strengthen child protection systems while networking with your peers in member schools. The Foundation Workshop provides the information and tools necessary to comply with new international safeguarding standards and accreditation frameworks, and help your school develop processes to better prevent, identify early and manage appropriately all forms of harm and abuse to which your students may be exposed.
This training is tailored to the specific needs of international school communities and will cover: offender behaviour; peer-on-peer abuse; how to receive disclosures, discussing abuse in culturally diverse communities; building a comprehensive sexuality and relationships programme; and effective recruitment practices.
The format consists of a series of keynote sessions, and then you choose a strand for additional learning. The first strand focuses on managing child abuse in international school communities. The second strand focuses on educating students to empower them to protect themselves, and supporting students suffering from harm. Participants are required to select the strand they wish to attend when they register.
- Defining and Understanding the Causes and Practices of Sexual Abusers
- The Impact of Child Trauma on Learning: Describing the Long-Term Impact of Abuse on Educational Outcomes and Adult Life
- Addressing Peer-on-Peer Abuse within international school settings
- Communicating in a Crisis: Leadership in Action
Strand 1: Managing Child Abuse in an International Community
- Developing School-wide Child Protection Policies and Practices; Alignment with New Accreditation Standards/li>
- Effective International Recruitment and Selection Practices; Alignment with new Accreditation Standards
- Identifying, Establishing and Managing a Multi-Disciplinary Team: School Structure
Standards Strand 2: Educating and Supporting Students
- Identifying Abuse and Handling Initial Disclosures
- Comprehensive Sexuality and Relationships Education: Curriculum, Supporting Students as they Navigate Physical and Virtual Abuse
- Current Best-Practices in the Treatment of Child and Adolescent Traumatic Stress
How to Register
Registration is open to all faculty and staff, including Board Members/Governors at CIS member schools and universities, CIS affiliated consultants and supporting members.
- CIS member: If you are employed at a school or university that is a member of CIS, register via the CIS Community Portal to receive the exclusive member event fee.
- You can check if your school is a member in our membership directory.
- Learn more about CIS membership.
- Non-member school: If you are a guidance/university counsellor currently employed at a K-12/high school that is not a member of CIS, learn how to register.
21 December 2018
- CIS members - €500.00
- Non-members - €600.00